Pipe Welding / W414
Course LocationPalmer Main Campus, 1740 N. Terrilou Ct., Palmer, AK
Students will receive the training necessary to become employed in the pipe welding field. Students attending the NIT Pipe Welding program are required to have a current D1.1 certification or qualification and instructor approval prior to attending in order to ensure they have the basic skills and knowledge to complete the program. Pipe Welding / W414 is based on NCCER curriculum and is taught in a modular format. Students will be introduced to joint preparation, proper fit-up, tacking and electrode selection. Students will also be given an in depth instruction and demonstration on process reading and interpretation. Students will embrace welding fundamentals, governed under pipe’s American Petroleum Institute (API 1104), to include such processes as SMAW, GMAW, and GTAW. NIT’s students are trained in the 2G, 5G, and 6G positions, in their pursuit of qualifications and certifications with each of these processes. Students will be introduced to a multitude of different welding techniques and equipment during this 8 week program, as different techniques and equipment can be used in different industries. All students will be issued a set of tools that they will get to keep upon program completion.
- SMAW - Open-Root Pipe Welds
- GTAW –Carbon Steel Pipe
Certifications or Certificates
Graduates who successfully complete the course have the opportunity to earn the following certifications or certificates.
- 2G or 5G or 2G/5G combo or 6G or 6Gr on 8” sch.80
- NIT Certificate of completion
- NCCER Module Completion Submissions
- AWS certification test available for additional fee
Length of Program
- 320 Hours (Homework Required)
Format of Program
- 8 Weeks (4 days per week, 10 hours each day)
- Conducted at the Main Campus in Palmer, Alaska
Prerequisites for Enrollment
- 18 Years of Age or Older
- DOT Equivalent Drug Test (If accepted, test can be done no more than 10 days before class begins)
- Leather Steel Toed Boots meeting ANSI Standard 2413
- Pre-Participation Physical
- Social Security Card
- Valid Alaska Driver’s License or State Issued Photo ID
- Current SMAW AWS D1.1-latest edition 3G & $G, or 6G. With, or without backing. Or successfully qualify before the start of class.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to secure funding or provide payment for tuition and any training related costs. Additional costs not included in this price are, but not limited to: drug test and physicals, AWS certification fees, transportation, room and board, child care, etc.