Aluminum Welding / W413
Please contact us for course dates.
Course LocationPalmer Main Campus, 1740 N. Terrilou Ct., Palmer, AK
This program focuses on Aluminum welding. Welding aluminum is an especially challenging process that greatly differs from welding steel. Aluminum comes from heat treatable and non-heat treatable alloys. They are both widely used in welding fabrication and have somewhat different characteristics associated with their chemical and metallurgical structure and their reactions during the arc welding process. The program will cover mechanical means of cutting aluminum, base metal preparation, joint fit-up, beads and fillet welds, groove welds, and weld quality. Students will be instructed in the technically proficient method of completing a welding qualification test, under AWS code. Student’s weld coupons will be subject to destructive examinations.
It is required that prospective trainees should have current SMAW or FCAW AWS D1.1-latest edition 3G & 4G (with, or without backing), or successfully qualify before the start of the class.
- Base Metal Preparation. Contact Hours: 40
- Bead and Fillet Welds. Contact Hours: 34
- Energized Equipment. Contact Hours: 5
- Groove Welds With and With-out Backing. Contact Hours: 34
- Safety. Contact Hours: 21
- Weld Quality. Contact Hours: 18
- AWS Performance Qualification Test. Contact Hours: 8
Certifications or Certificates
Graduates who successfully complete the course have the opportunity to earn the following certifications or certificates.
- GMAW and GTAW Aluminum Structural All Position Qualification
- NIT Certificate of completion
Length of Program
- 160 Hours (Homework Required)
Format of Program
- 4 Weeks (4 days per week, 10 hours each day)
- Conducted at the Main Campus in Palmer, Alaska
Prerequisites for Enrollment
- 18 Years of Age or Older
- DOT Equivalent Drug Test (If accepted, test can be done no more than 10 days before class begins)
- Leather Steel Toed Boots meeting ANSI Standard 2413
- Pre-Participation Physical
- Social Security Card
- Valid Alaska Driver’s License or State Issued Photo ID
It is the applicant’s responsibility to secure funding or provide payment for tuition and any training related costs. Additional costs not included in this price are, but not limited to: drug test and physicals, AWS certification fees, transportation, room and board, child care, etc.