||7:30 AM - 6:00 PM
||3/12/18 - 4/5/18 CLASS IS FULL.
||8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
||4/2/2018 to 4/26/2018 Four, 10 hour days
||7:30 AM - 6:00 PM
||4/23/18 - 5/17/18 Four, ten hour days
**REGISTRATION CLOSED: Alternate positions may be applied for, in the event a position in the class opens up
The program begins with permit preparation, during which general knowledge, airbrakes, and combination vehicle topics are covered in depth in preparation for commercial license permitting. Once students have gained a CLP, techniques learned in the classroom are applied to driving range, street, and highway practical exercises. Every student will practice all of the skills necessary to safely operate a tractor trailer and successfully complete a CDL Class A road exam.
Students learn and master turning, backing, and shifting skills on an 80 plus acre driving range. Once student drivers have gained experience and confidence on the driving range, students and driving instructors proceed with street driving to polish and hone students' skills in real world situations.
All of this training is conducted in preparation of the student's CDL skills test where students must demonstrate knowledge of the truck's condition through a pre-trip inspection and complete a set of driving skills administered by a certified CDL examiner.
Certifications or Certificates
- General Knowledge
- Combination Vehicle
- Hours of Service
- Public Relations and Job Search
- Driver Health, Safety, and Security
- Whistleblower Protections for Professional Drivers
- Compliance, Safety, Accountability (CSA)
- All practical knowledge needed to successfully complete a Class A CDL Road Exam
Graduates who successfully complete the course have the opportunity to earn the following certifications or certificates.
Length of Program
- Entry Level Driver Qualification
- NIT Certificate of Completion
- State of Alaska Commercial Driver's License Class A
Format of Program
- 160 Hours (Homework Required)
Prerequisites for Enrollment
- 4 Weeks
- Conducted at the Main Campus in Palmer, Alaska and JBER extension campus.
- 19 Years of Age or Older by Graduation Date
- DMV Driver's History Report
- DOT Physical Card
- FMCSA/DOT Drug Test (If accepted, test can be done no more than 10 days before class begins)
- Social Security Card
- Valid Alaska Driver's License
DMV License / Endorsement Fees
DMV Requirement: One of the Following:
- Valid U.S. Passport or Passport Card
- U.S. State or Territory issued Birth Certificate
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Valid Permanent Resident Card
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad
- Certificate of Citizenship
- DMV - CDL Permit Fee $15.00 (paid to the State of Alaska)
- DMV - CDL License Fee $100 (paid to State of Alaska)
It is the applicant's responsibility to secure funding or provide payment for tuition and any training related costs. Additional costs not included in this price are, but not limited to: drug test and physicals, CDL permit and licensing fees, transportation, room and board, child care, etc.