This program, based on NCCER curriculum, provides advanced training on stick welding procedures. An introduction is given in flux-core procedures. Trainee will be instructed on how to interpret a WPS and how to identify the codes or standards that apply. Students will be instructed in the safe and efficient method of completing a welder qualification or certification test, under AWS code. Students will be introduced to detailed blueprint reading. Students' weld coupons will be subject to destructive or non-destructive testing. Over 70% of this program is spent on practical application.
Certifications or Certificates
- Physical Characteristics and Mechanical Properties of Metals
- Preheating and Post-heating of Metals
- GMAW and FCAW -- Equipment and Filler Metals
- GTAW -- Equipment and Filler Metals
- Welding Symbols
- Reading Welding Detail Drawings
Graduates who successfully complete the course have the opportunity to earn the following certifications or certificates.
Length of Program
- 3G and 4G FCAW-G limited or unlimited thickness
- 1/2" 3G & 4G GMAW
- NIT Certificate of Completion
- NCCER Module Completion Submissions
- AWS certification test available for additional fee
Format of Program
- 320 Hours (Homework Required)
Prerequisites for Enrollment
- 8 Weeks (4 days per week, 10 hours each day)
- Conducted at the Main Campus in Palmer, Alaska
- 18 Years of Age or Older
- DOT Equivalent Drug Test (If accepted, test can be done no more than 10 days before class begins)
- Leather Steel Toed Boots meeting ANSI Standard 2413
- Pre-Participation Physical
- Current SMAW AWS D1.1-latest edition 3G+4G, or 6G (with, or without backing). Or successfully qualify before the start of class.
- Social Security Card
- Valid Alaska Driver's License or State Issued Photo ID
It is the applicant's responsibility to secure funding or provide payment for tuition and any training related costs. Additional costs not included in this price are, but not limited to: drug test and physicals, AWS certification fees, transportation, room and board, child care, etc.