In this 4-week program students learn to fabricate metal by cutting, altering, and shaping steel or other materials. Basic and advanced shop math formulas will be introduced throughout the program. It is required that prospective trainees should have current SMAW or FCAW AWS D1.1-latest edition 3G & 4G (with, or without backing), or successfully qualify before the start of the class.
Certifications or Certificates
- Fabrication Cutting and Shaping. Contact Hours: 40
- Joining Fit-up and Alignment. Contact Hours: 40
- Mechanical Cutting. Contact Hours: 8
- Oxy-fuel Cutting. Contact Hours: 8
- Plasma Arc Cutting. Contact Hours: 8
- Reading Welding Detail Drawings. Contact Hours: 20
- Safety. Contact Hours: 20 Hours
- Weld Quality. Contact Hours: 16
Graduates who successfully complete the course have the opportunity to earn the following certifications or certificates.
Length of Program
- NIT Certificate of Completion
Format of Program
- 160 Hours (Homework Required)
Prerequisites for Enrollment
- Format may vary. Please contact the office for most up-to-date schedule.
- 18 Years of Age or Older
- DOT Equivalent Drug Test (If accepted, test can be done no more than 10 days before class begins)
- Leather Steel Toed Boots meeting ANSI Standard 2413
- Pre-Participation Physical
- Prospective Trainee shall have current SMAW and FCAW AWS D1.1-latest edition 3G+4G, or 6G. With, or without backing. Or successfully qualify before the start of class.
- Social Security Card
- Valid Alaska Driver's License or State Issued Photo ID